Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nagesh4641

How to Publish multiple reports to Power BI instance

I would like to publish around 10/ 15 reports every week -- is there a automated approach for make them published to power bi instance thru script

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TedPattison
Employee
Employee

You could write a custom application which uses the Power BI REST API to accomplish this. If writing a custom application in C# is an option for you, you can write your application code to upload PBIX files to either a personal workspace or a group worksapce in PowerBI.com. This gives you the same result as publishing a project in Power BI Desktop. If you go down this road, you must learn how to register your application with Azure AD and how to configure permissions for the Power BI REST API.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
TedPattison
Employee
Employee

You could write a custom application which uses the Power BI REST API to accomplish this. If writing a custom application in C# is an option for you, you can write your application code to upload PBIX files to either a personal workspace or a group worksapce in PowerBI.com. This gives you the same result as publishing a project in Power BI Desktop. If you go down this road, you must learn how to register your application with Azure AD and how to configure permissions for the Power BI REST API.

@nagesh4641

An addition to @TedPattison, Check this sample getting-started-for-dotnet-import in Github.

Hi @nagesh4641,

Is the data kept in a cloud based or server location that you could use the "Scheduled Refresh" feature with on PowerBI.com? 

thanks for quick reply, i have new set of 10/15 reports every week.

Hi @nagesh4641,

I'm not sure I fully understand. Are you saying you create 10-15 new .pbix reports each week from scratch? Compared to building a report and has data refreshed into it?

that's correct ,

I'm curious about the scenario you have that requires new reports to be created as opposed to refreshing a current report each week. What is the business requirement that necessitates a new report each time? PowerBI is optimally designed to upload a report to have a report uploaded, then connect to a gateway that provides new data to that report at a scheduled refresh interval or live connection through a tabular or cube model.

do you aware of any script to publish multiple reports  at single execution??? , rather than 1 by 1 ?

I think would need to download an external software macro tool to accomplish this. PBI doesn't have a feature for bulk uploads of new reports (to my knowledge).

thanks Reid , i did enough investigation on the same, let me write a mail to Microsoft. and update the forums with microsoft response

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.