Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to Create Date Parameters in Direct query

Hi Team,

I'm want to restrict the data to the users. So, i have created a Date parameter wherein user have to select Start date and End Date in Power bi service. 

I have created below M Langauage and pasted in Advance Editor
Next I have Created two Parameters Param1 and Param2

let
SQLSOURCE=(Param1 as date, Param2 as date)=>
let
Param1=Date.ToText(Param1,"MM")&"/"&Date.ToText(Param1,"dd")&"/"&Date.ToText(Param1,"yyyy"),
Param2=Date.ToText(Param2,"MM")&"/"&Date.ToText(Param2,"dd")&"/"&Date.ToText(Param2,"yyyy"),
Source=Sql.Database("sqllink","Database",
[Query="Select Column1,Column1,Date_Txt from (SELECT Column1,Column2,LEFT(CONVERT(VARCHAR, Date_N, 120), 10) as Date_Txt FROM dbo.Transform )a
where Date_Txt >='"&Param1&"' AND Date_Txt <='"&Param2 & "'"])
in
Source
in
SQLSOURCE

When i run the query i am not getting any results.

Please guide me how to create parameters in date level and add in power bi dataset.

Thank you
Ravi

3 REPLIES 3
Jayendran
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

Basically it should work. Do you have tried this with the latest PBI Desktop ?

Here is the real working sample video : https://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/MVP-Azure/Pass-parameter-to-SQL-Queries-statement-using-Power-BI

I passed the exact syntax to my SQL query for the data parameter, '"StartTime"' and I received a token Comma  syntax error in the Advanced Editor.  Both the Parameters are Date data types.  Any ideas?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jayendran,

Thank you for your reply on this...

I Have created parameters as showed in your video it is working in Power Bi desktop. However, when i go to Dataset  -- Settings -- Parameters. Over there in StartDate and EndDate i have give date range. As per the given date range data is not populating in power bi service. My i know the reason... In Desktop it is working fine but when comes to PBI Services why data is not populating as per given range....

Please clarify..

Thanks in adavance.

RAVIP

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors