Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PierreV
Frequent Visitor

How can we update an APPS using PowerShell API

Hi all,

I'm working in an Agile team that release a Power BI Report every two weeks or so. We do mostly change to existing reports.

We have a Workspace and we publish our reports into a Power BI App. The issue that we are facing is that the Dataset is being refresh in the Apps (this is well documented) but the content of the reports is not changing. I've read that to have the "Visual" Content of the report updated in the Apps, we have to user the "Update App" button in the Workspace.

I've developed a Powershell Script that import the changed reports into our workspace and launch a dataset refresh. My issue is that I don't see any API that I can launch to Update the Apps.

Is there a way to perform the "Update App" programmatically?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
powerbi_jenhen
Resolver II
Resolver II
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

no. Structural / Meta data changes require a manual re-update of the app in the service. The only exception I know of are connection details changes.

That's really a bummer as automatic app update is what we would need as well.

There's a user voice item: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/20468686-publish-app-via-rest-api

PierreV
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the information.

I've add my vote to this feature.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.