cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I append or merge two tables with different number of columns?

I  know theres a straightforward way to do it which is in Advace Query Editor using 'Append' funcitonality but correct me If I am wrong, performance will suffer if I'll do it that way. I notice its takes so much time refreshing the data whenever I made my changs in advance query editor. 

I was thinking if theres a way in doing it using PBI DAX, the report will refresh or load faster.

Any thoughts please? Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Microsoft Eric_Zhang
Microsoft

Re: How can I append or merge two tables with different number of columns?

@junyetzotomayor wrote:

I  know theres a straightforward way to do it which is in Advace Query Editor using 'Append' funcitonality but correct me If I am wrong, performance will suffer if I'll do it that way. I notice its takes so much time refreshing the data whenever I made my changs in advance query editor. 

I was thinking if theres a way in doing it using PBI DAX, the report will refresh or load faster. I tried UNION but its thrwoing an error since I have different number of columns. 

@junyetzotomayor

Both way in Power Query or in DAX.

Table =
UNION (
    SELECTCOLUMNS ( Table1, "column1", Table1[column1], "column2", Table1[column2] ),
    SELECTCOLUMNS ( Table2, "column1", Table2[Column1], "column2", Table2[Column4] )
)

By the way, how much data in your case? I'd doubt you'll still experience performance issue if the data is too huge.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I was thinking if theres a way in doing it using PBI DAX, the report will refresh or load faster. I tried UNION but its thrwoing an error since I have different number of columns. 

Microsoft Eric_Zhang
Microsoft

Re: How can I append or merge two tables with different number of columns?

@junyetzotomayor wrote:

@junyetzotomayor

Both way in Power Query or in DAX.

Table =
UNION (
    SELECTCOLUMNS ( Table1, "column1", Table1[column1], "column2", Table1[column2] ),
    SELECTCOLUMNS ( Table2, "column1", Table2[Column1], "column2", Table2[Column4] )
)

By the way, how much data in your case? I'd doubt you'll still experience performance issue if the data is too huge.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series.

Join THE global Power Platform event series.

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications