Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How best to Secure the Power BI Embedded Master Account?

We’re trying to secure our PBI account is an effective way and running into some issues.

Following this documentation, Microsoft is informing us that the PBI master account needs to be an Azure Global admin: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embed-sample-for-customers

Of course this is very concerning, so we’re trying to do what we can to secure this account, here are the two options we’ve tried:

1.). I tried MFA and using app passwords for the application, but those get specific errors within the portal and always end in error. Simply doesn’t work.

2.). Then I disabled MFA because of the issues and used conditional access to only allow the account to access cloud app “Power BI Service”. This seemed to work, however a day later we had our app fail with a generic 500 pbi return, and needed to cycle this rule to get it fixed.

I guess my main question is what is the recommended security configuration when having to have a service account of this magnitude with such elevated rights?

We’re happy to follow all Microsoft best practices.
0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors