Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

viera00
Helper II
Helper II

Help with Custom Visualisation of Column Chart

Hello Everyone,

Im new to the developers community. Im an experienced PowerBI user, but I faced a new challenge I would like to solve, maybe with the development of a custom visual.

Let me describe the scenario.

Im connecting to a SSAS, Multidimensional. So I cannot Use DAX, or create further metrics than the ones that are provided by the cube Im using.

There is a metric, wich is a percentage of variation. There is a Category Dimension. There are four categories. The data in the table would look like this:

Category Dim | Var %

Category1 | 5.2%
Category2| 3.2%
Category3| 5.1%
Category4| 4.2%

The Column Chart They use today (created with excel chart, over a table) has the following information:

• X-Axes: the 4 categories and 1 more column named 'Total'
  • Y-Axes: the % value.

In PowerBI I use the column chart. I add the Dimension as the Axes, The metric as the Value.
This chart shows me 4 columns, but I'm unable to add the Totals Column.

I tried to use a Waterfall Chart, but the proble, is that the waterfall chart "adds" de percentages, instead of using the disagregated of the dimension.
Why? , because the total % I want, is not the sum of the percentages of the dimension, but the metric calculated withour the drill down.

I tried different ways to do this in PowerBI without much success. Im thinking that the best way to do this is to implement a custom visual. I think I could be able to modify the column chart, but I need some guidance.

What I want to add: I want to add 1 more column, with a value that is taken from a Metric, without drilling down by any context.

For people that has developed visuals before, what is the best way to approach this ?

I would appreciate any help over this.

Thanks a lot,

Alejandro.

German Viera
http://slidemodel.com/
0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.