Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help me understand why (or how to make) RLS is secure in Embedding

We have a web application where external clients can access an Embedded Power BI Report.

Flow:

A Power BI app token is generated 
A Embedded token is generated using the Power BI app token using  {accessLevel: "View"} as payload.

The reports are generated using the embedded token.

These requests are exposed in our front end, so it's easy to inspect the webpage and pick up all tokens.

We currently filter using Javascript filter, so basically we pick up an ID (let's call it user_id) from the client and filter the report content using that (https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-JavaScript/wiki/Filters). This means that it is fairly straightforward for a client to edit these filters and get access to data they should not have access to. 

So we're looking into using RLS based on this guide (RLS Guide Embedded) and generate a embed token using this payload:

"{"accessLevel": "View","identities": [ {"username": "user_id","roles": [ "EmbedUser"],"datasets": [ "some guid" ]}]}" 

Then we would have a role (EmbedUser) on the dataset and this role would have rule: [ClientDimension].[user_id] == userprincipalname()

Then the report generated using this embed token would contain only the data the customer can see.

But how come this is safe? What prevents a client from copying the generate embed token request and change the user_id to something else and generate a new embed token?

Is our issue that these requests should happen in the backend and that the Power BI app token never should be exposed? 

Bear with me, I am not the (or a) front end developer so maybe none of this makes sense or maybe the answer is obvious, I am just trying to understand how to make our web app secure.

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.