Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Master_T
Helper I
Helper I

Having a set of properties for each column in a custom visual

Hello everyone

I'm developing a custom visual that displays a simple table, each column of the table is defined by a field (grouping or measure) that can be added to the fields panel of the visual, just like a normal native Power BI table.

Now, what I would like to do is have a dedicated section in the "format" panel for each column, in other words: for each fieeld that is added to the visual. This would allow me to customize each column separately, for example by assigning a color or custom header to each one.

However, I've been reading the documentation but I can't find any examples on how to do this. I've read about data-bound properties, but the docs are incredibly vague, so much that I'm not even sure that is the right approach, let alone how to actually implement it.

Are there any examples on how to do this? Can it even be done at all?

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Master_T,

What type of detail configurations did you mean? Adding common axis, row/column field formatting options or do configuration on each record?

If you mean the first one, you can check the official document about adding formatting options:

Adding formatting options to a Power BI custom visual - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If you mean the second one, I don't think it is possible to accurately configuration each row's properties. 
If you mean the conditional formatting, please check the following link about adding conditional formatting support in custom visuals.

Conditional formatting in Power BI embedded analytics - Power BI | Microsoft Docs
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-shex-msft 

I've posted a more detailed explanation on stackoverflow with a screenshot showing what I would like, here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/70202595/power-bi-custom-visual-having-a-property-panel-for-each...

Basically, I would like to have a cusotm properties panel for each FIELD (aka: column, not row), but I don't know if this is possible.

HI @Master_T,

Perhaps you can take a look at the following link which mentioned a similar requirement:

Solved: How to add drop down selections in custom visual f... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.