Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HTML Viewer to display content from azure dev ops

Hi,

I am trying to render some content (kind of introduction/description to the power bi report i have built) from Azure dev ops wiki page of our project. I tried to use HTML viewer to render the web page, but it is not working. I am getting an error message saying "This content cant be shown in an iframe. There is supposed to be a content here. But the publisher doesnt allow it to be displayed in an  frame". Its working fine for normal web pages eg.sqlbi.

Is there way to achieve this. I also tried using Azure dev ops (beta) data source. But it shows only  task, bugs or userstories.

Thanks,

Priyanga

2 REPLIES 2
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

As the HTML viewer is a custom visual, all content it tries to display is displayed in a sandboxed iframe. This means that there are a number of restrictions imposed upon it by Power BI regarding hosting external content. This is to avoid issues where people can (either deliberately or accidentally) embed potentially malicious content for the end user. The side-effect of this is that even though your intentions are honorable, this is a limitation that cannot be worked-around where custom visuals are concerned.

If your Azure DevOps wiki page does not allow embedding within an iframe, then this is something that the HTML viewer cannot work around, as it is only serving the content that Azure DevOps is returning to it in this situation. For example, YouTube has similar restrictions, whereas Vimeo does not, so Vimeo content will work but YouTube embeds won't. Most web pages probably won't have this restriction, which is why you can get them to work.

Sorry this is probably not the answer you were looking for but should hopefully clarify the limitations you're working with.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Daniel

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.