Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nfontaine
Regular Visitor

Getting & Posting Datasets with the C# v2.0 SDK seems broken?

When I get a DataSet using the SDK I am getting back just the ID and the GroupID,  all of the important information like the tables, columns, rows etc.. are null

Capture.PNG 

When I go to post a DataSet using the SDK I get a Bad Request:

"{\"error\":{\"code\":\"BadRequest\",\"message\":\"Bad Request\",\"details\":[{\"message\":\"

The property 'IsRefreshable' does not exist on type 'Microsoft.PowerBI.ServiceContracts.Api.Dataset'.

Make sure to only use property names that are defined by the type.\",\"target\":\"dataset\"}]}}"

It appears that while the SDK call demands I use the v2.0 Dataset, some validation is taking place on the other end that is expecting the v1 still. Any work arounds or plans to fix this?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@nfontaine wrote:

When I get a DataSet using the SDK I am getting back just the ID and the GroupID,  all of the important information like the tables, columns, rows etc.. are null

Capture.PNG 

"{\"error\":{\"code\":\"BadRequest\",\"message\":\"Bad Request\",\"details\":[{\"message\":\"

The property 'IsRefreshable' does not exist on type 'Microsoft.PowerBI.ServiceContracts.Api.Dataset'.

Make sure to only use property names that are defined by the type.\",\"target\":\"dataset\"}]}}"

It appears that while the SDK call demands I use the v2.0 Dataset, some validation is taking place on the other end that is expecting the v1 still. Any work arounds or plans to fix this?

Thanks.

@nfontaine

I doubt the nulls are just as expected, because when I call the REST API Get Dataset directly, it doesn't return any table/column information.

To get the tables information, you can try below code. Note the dataset shall be created via REST API or a steaming dataset, expection will be raised if you try to get tables from a dataset which is published from Power BI desktop.

var tables =  client.Datasets.GetTablesInGroup(groupId, datasetId);

Even with above code, it doesn't return columns information, the REST API Get Tables documentation contains some issue as well, per my test.

What about the fact that sending over a v2.0 DataSet object throws an error?  

Capture.PNG

It appears that while the SDK call demands I use the v2.0 Dataset, some validation is taking place on the other end that is expecting the v1 still.  Any work arounds or plans to fix this?

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.