Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

b244293
Frequent Visitor

Get the Max vaule for every Row in Matrix Power BI

I have created the table(Dummy) mentioned below,

LeadIdDateNameQuarter
1SundayQ1
2SundayQ1
3SundayQ1
4SundayQ1
5SundayQ2
6SundayQ2
7SundayQ3
8MondayQ1
9MondayQ1
10MondayQ2
11MondayQ2
12MondayQ2
13MondayQ2
14MondayQ2
15MondayQ3
16MondayQ3

Now, I want to display the data "How many leads are there for date name and quarters?". I have created the Matrix report like the below, (The value is the count for the leadid)

DateNameQ1Q2Q3
Monday252
Sunday421

Now, I want to highlight Max value for every row. like below,

DateNameQ1Q2Q3
Monday252
Sunday421

I have tried to find the large value for each row like the below DAX, But I could not achieve it.

measureMaxCount =
VAR mymax =
CALCULATE ( MAXX(Dummy,COUNT(Dummy[LeadId])), ALL ( Dummy[Quarter] ) )
RETURN
mymax

Kindly help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
b244293
Frequent Visitor

Excellent. It is working as expected. Thank you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @b244293, and welcome aboard!

Just as a heads-up, you can get much faster help with DAX or data-related questions if you post them in the Desktop or DAX Commands and Tips forums. A lot more people frequent those forums rather than this one (which is concerned with extending Power BI using code), and you'll get help much more quickly than in here.

You can solve your challenge as follows:

measureMaxCount = 
    VAR Counts = SUMMARIZE(
        Dummy,
        Dummy[Quarter],
        "# Leads", COUNTROWS(Dummy)
    )
    RETURN MAXX(
        Counts,
        [# Leads]
    )

As your matrix is looking at at DateName, this will be applied as a filter going into your measure. So, we first, group the results by Quarter using a SUMMARIZE function and count the number of rows (calling this column "# Leads").

For Monday, this would look as follows at this point of the expression:

Quarter # Leads
Q1 2
Q2 5
Q3 2

Now we have evaluated this, we can use it in a MAXX function (similar to how you were approaching the challenge initially) to get the highest value of our VAR.

This will run for each value of DateName in your matrix and return the following in Power BI:

image.png

One thing to bear in mind: you haven't specified how you would like totals to be handled, or if you are using them.

Because totals don't have a value for DateName, and look over all the data, you will get 7 here. Because this is only looking at Quarter in the VAR declaration, this is taking the largest value, as follows:

image.png

If you want the MAX of the returned values, we can modify the expression to include DateName as follows:

measureMaxCount = 
    VAR Counts = SUMMARIZE(
        Dummy,
        Dummy[DateName],
        Dummy[Quarter],
        "# Leads", COUNTROWS(Dummy)
    )
    RETURN MAXX(
        Counts,
        [# Leads]
    )

This will ensure that we also group by DateName, in case it doesn't exist in our row context (like for Totals, or another visual that doesn't have it).

The results will now look as follows:

image.png

This has taken the higest value of all unique values of DateName in the table, e.g.:

image.png

Hopefully this should be all you need. Good luck!

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

b244293
Frequent Visitor

Thank you, Super User.  I need the result like below. My goal is to highlight the biggest value of each row in conditional formating. 

imgReport.png

Please help me.

Thanks,

Bala.

My apologies - I misunderstood your requirements. You can't currently conditionally format based on a dynamic measure value, but you can do this with a measure that behaves as a flag because we can predict its value. We'll set this up similar to my previous answer, but there will be a couple of changes.

1. Common Measure

We'll need to use the # Leads a few times, so we'll create a proper measure for it so that our business logic is centralised:

# Leads = COUNTROWS(Dummy)

The results shouldn't be too surprising:

image.png

2. Max of # Leads by DateName

We'll now re-work that previous measure to calculate as before, but we need to ensure that we ignore the DateName when we calculate the max, and use our # Leads measure for consistency:

Max of # Leads by DateName = 
    VAR LeadsByQuarter = SUMMARIZE(
        ALLEXCEPT(Dummy, Dummy[DateName]),
        Dummy[Quarter],
        "# Leads", [# Leads]
    )
    RETURN MAXX(
        LeadsByQuarter,
        [# Leads]
    )

This gets us to where we were before, but the key difference is that the ALLEXCEPT will ensure that the same result is used across all values of Quarter:

image.png

3. Add 'Flag' Measure

We can't use TRUE/FALSE in conditional formatting, or something like [max value], so we can create a measure that behaves as a 0/1 'flag' and we can apply conditional formatting by that later on:

? Is Count Max Count = 
    VAR CountLeads = [# Leads]
    VAR MaxCount = [Max of # Leads by DateName]
    RETURN
        SWITCH(
            TRUE(),
            CountLeads = MaxCount, 1,
        )

We can then test this by adding to our matrix and having a look. This is 1 for the highest value in each DateName row:

image.png

Result

Now we know our measures are correct, we can set up the matrix we want, e.g.:

image.png

I'll apply conditional formatting to # Leads - I'm using Background color, as per your mockup. We'll use the value of our 'flag' measure to colour the cell, e.g.:

image.png

This will now colour the background of our count as follows, e.g.:

image.png

Hopefully I've got this correct for you now - I've also attached a copy of my workbook for you to have a look at in further detail if needs be.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

b244293
Frequent Visitor

Excellent. It is working as expected. Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.