Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rian_II
Advocate III
Advocate III

Get result only from Q&A using Power BI API

Hi,

We need to give users the ability to create their own custom measures (called "indicators"). These are non Power BI users. 

Before I get into the details, let me give a summary of our requirement:

Using Power BI's Q&A we want to give users the ability to type a question, see the result of the question and save the question as a new indicator, which is then calculated automatically for their business area.

Let me break it down:

1. Ability to type a question: See the Sample Q&A for an idea of what we want to embed. A question can be typed to find a result in the dataset.
  2. See result of the question: We only need to visualise the result as a card to get the current value.
  3. Save the question as a new indicator: Store the interpret result or the DAX formula (assuming that's how it queries the data model) in an indicator library. 
  4. Calculated automatically: Every time the user refreshes his/her indicators, the latest value of the indicator is recalculated and stored in our DB for other uses.

Our entire team of developers looked for a way to get this to work, but it seems the limitations are:

• The final JSON response of the visual does contain the result, but it is not simply interpretable and lies very deep in the file as there is a lot of "fluff" to visualise the result which is not what we need.
  • The interpret response from the Q&A does not contain a DAX / MDX formula which we can interpret. (i.e. it is only for the API)

We could technically get this to work, but it would be a hack which will probably fail on a future update of Power BI.

Any ideas of what we can do?

Kind regards,

Rian

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.