Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Get data from REST API (streaming) and combine with other sources

Hi,

Does anyone know how we can get data from an API live without having an import mode?

I've seen that we can use something called REST API in Power BI Service.  Can we get data from there live? 

Can we also combine data from REST API with on premise server and one drive? 

2 REPLIES 2
TedPattison
Employee
Employee

There is currently no support in the Power BI Service API to retrieve data. While there have been several requests from customers for this feature, the API was never built to support this type of functionality. Whether Microsoft adds this behavior to the API in the future is a possibility but it does not seem to be on the roadmap today.

Here is the way to get the closest behavior to what you want.

1. Export the PBIX file from a workspace. It gives you the data but then you need a tabular database engine to execute queries.
  2. Use Power BI embedding and embed a report. Then export data from a visual on that report using client-side code and the Power BI JavaScript API. This is not straight ahead but it will provide you with direct access to the data from a Power BI dataset in the browser.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for answering my question!

1. How will it work if I also have excel files? 

2. I don't have tabular database engine to execute queries. 

3. As far as I know, you can't connect to API from WEB connector in Power BI Service, right? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.