cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Generate EmbedToken via PowerBI's API with dataset id only

Hey,

So much like the title says, we've been following all kind of variants of https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/embedtoken/generatetoken, but haven't been able to make anything work yet. We'd need to generate a EmbedToken, but since we're using "My Workspace" over on PowerBI, we do not have access to a WorkspaceId. We also use Dashboards (and not necessarily Reports), so we don't have any ReportId's to specify either. This means we'd need to get the token based on only our Dataset ID (or DashboardId, if that helps at all).

Ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Generate EmbedToken via PowerBI's API with dataset id only

Our final solution was to contact the people responsible/administrators of AD/PowerBI to get an "actual" workspace (rather than My Workspace) created. Also recommended to anyone with or without this issue as it seems like the API and My Workspace doesn't work well together at all.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JSundqvi,

Yes, this seems a known limitation to use embed token api with old version workspaces. (my workspace also stored as old format)

17.png
Perhaps you can submit an idea for additional support with old version workspaces.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted

Our final solution was to contact the people responsible/administrators of AD/PowerBI to get an "actual" workspace (rather than My Workspace) created. Also recommended to anyone with or without this issue as it seems like the API and My Workspace doesn't work well together at all.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Using the Community

Using the Community

Need help with the Power BI Community? Our 'Using the Community' support articles are a great place to start.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors