Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jjgray-sl
Frequent Visitor

Gateway IDs when no gateway is set up

I'm trying to use the Update Datasource endpoint of the Power BI REST API to update a datasource's credentials. The call requires the gateway ID of the datasource. 

I don't have any gateways set up. I'm connecting to Snowflake via the native Power BI connector which does not require use of a gateway. Is this endpoint able to update a datasource that is not part of a gateway? If so, what ID should be using?

2 REPLIES 2
jjgray-sl
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @lbendlin for the link. The endpoint you've shared seems to be deprecated, but it's replacements Datasets - Update Datasources and Datasets - Update Datasources In Group commands would be able to update datasets.

However I've created the datasets using the Power BI XMLA endpoint. This makes the datasets incompatible with those endpoints. The Gateways - Update Datasource endpoint does not have this limitation, so I've been trying to use that. 

I've been able to find the hidden gateway ID by reading metadata from a dataset object when getting all datasets. Ideally there'd be a nicer way to find it though

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You may be in the wrong aisle of the API library. Try here

Datasets - Set All Dataset Connections - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.