Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

GET Request and Token authentication to download file as JSON

Hello Community,

I have very minimal knowledge on APIs . I got a request from one of the clients to design a report . However, they said we should get data from JSON as data source. They just provided me a link as shown in screenshot. 

They said We need to Post a GET command and also provided a Token for authentication purpose. By downloading file in JSON format , we can get use data option from Power BI for JSON and use data. 

However, I am not able to download file . Could some one please suggest how to get data from the link and token code provided below .''

GETData.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @Anonymous,

You can try to use the following code if it meets your requirement:

let
	GetJson = Web.Contents(
		"https://xxxxxxxx/api", 
		[
			RelativePath="/v1.0/data/search", 
			Query=
			[
				query="xxxxxxx", 
				limit=1000
			]
		]
	),
	FormatAsJson = Json.Document(GetJson)
in
	FormatAsJson

Reference links:

Using The RelativePath And Query Options With Web.Contents() In Power Query And Power BI M Code 

Get Data from Twitter API with Power Query 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

in Power Query use the "from Web"  data source dialog which translates into Web.Contents(<url>,[<parameters]).  Once you have the raw data you can open it with JSON.Document() etc.

"We need to Post a GET command"  - this made me chuckle - thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Thanks for the help. I knew that my question will make you laugh. But i am picking this up for the first time. I managed to insert the URL and this is hw it looks. let Source = Web.BrowserContents("https://addm-dc.lowes.com/") in Source Could you please help me how to provide token information as well ? I am looking for M-query similar to the code shown above.

Hi @Anonymous,

You can try to use the following code if it meets your requirement:

let
	GetJson = Web.Contents(
		"https://xxxxxxxx/api", 
		[
			RelativePath="/v1.0/data/search", 
			Query=
			[
				query="xxxxxxx", 
				limit=1000
			]
		]
	),
	FormatAsJson = Json.Document(GetJson)
in
	FormatAsJson

Reference links:

Using The RelativePath And Query Options With Web.Contents() In Power Query And Power BI M Code 

Get Data from Twitter API with Power Query 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ,

This is what i am actually looking for. This worked for me. Thanks a lot and sorry for late reply.

There is a limit of 1000 records. But we have around 2300 records . So how do we neeed to execute the next statement to get remaining records . I tried something but it isnt working . Could you please help me ? Below is the M-query i am using to get all the records and not just 1000 records. 

let

Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("URL", [Headers=[Accept="application\json", Authorization="Bearer myToken"]])),
#"ExplodeTable" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"ExpandResults" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"ExplodeTable"[results], "Column1", {"Name", "Software Type"}, {"Name", "Software Type"}),
#"GatherNext" = Table.AddColumn(#"ExplodeTable", "NextValue", each if #"ExplodeTable".[Next] <> null then Json.Document(Web.Contents(#"ExplodeTable"[Next], [Headers=[Accept="application/json", Authorization="Bearer Mytoken"]]) else null)
in
#"GatherNext"

Thanks,

Venkatesh 

Your problem is not the [next] statement but the Source statement. Either use a recursive function to collect all headers, or if you know the list size then make three calls, with offset 0, 1000, and 2000, and merge the results.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.