Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jimmcslim
Helper III
Helper III

Format of credentials for Gateways.UpdateDatasourceAsync

Updating the credentials for a datasource is generally done using these sorts of JSON passed to UpdateDatasourceAsync...

{

"credentials":"{\"credentialData\":[{\"name\":\"key\",\"value\":\"hi...rg==\"}]}",

"credentialType": "Key",

"encryptedConnection": "Encrypted | NotEncrypted", // chose one

"privacyLevel": "None | Private | Organizational | Public"// chose one

"encryptionAlgorithm":"None"

}

* Is this documented anywhere? e.g. what should the format for 'credentials' be for other types of datasources? I feel that we shouldn't have to come to this forum for this sort of information.

* Rather than crafting a JSON string, it would be good if the PowerBI Client SDK supported a strongly-typed class for each datasource type.

* EncryptedConnection/PrivacyLevel/EncryptedAlgorithm: is there any documentation around these at all? When should they be used? What types of datasource do they apply to?

* Datasource Name: The datasource object that is returned by various APIs has a 'DatasourceName' property - this is invariably blank. It would be handy to have this populated in the event that a report had multiple datasources of the same type - it is possible to distinguish between them via the ConnectionDetails property, however that is a bit tricky. I'm assuming that this relies on Power BI Desktop supporting datasource names that it currently doesn't.

1 REPLY 1
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jimmcslim,

After a few research, I haven't found any useful documentation to better understand the format of credentials for Gateways.UpdateDatasourceAsync.

It seems to be that the documentation for Power BI Embedded libraries for .NET isn't helpful enough currently. So I would suggest you leave a comments here(bottom of the page) to give your feedback and improve the documentation. Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.