Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Force report to show no data at startup

Is there any way I can have a report initially not show any data? Idea is tha user chooses specific criteria from filters and then visuals are updated. I have a report that runs OK in our main offices, it pulls all data and then user filters by Region, Location, Employee and dates. My concern is when the report is rolled out to other locations which have way slower bandwith it will take a lot of time to render the report. This is a similar approach to SSRS where the report only renders with the user's selection of filter/parameters criteria which makes the report only pull the necessary data from the database.

All of the Power BI reports being developed use Import mode (cached data). Running Power BI Desktop Aug 2018 and same Report Server version (On premise).

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

This came up a little while ago in another thread. The idea was to use 2 pages (or 1 with hidden visuals), bookmarks and sync slicers. So, create a bookmark to your 2nd page. Copy and paste your visuals and slicers to this page and sync slicers. Remove visuals from 1st page but leave slicers. Add button that transports user to 2nd page.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

This doesn't address the issue that behind the scenes Power BI is still pulling all the data into the report, it just hides it. What I am trying to accomplish is similar behavior to SSRS where it retrieves and displays only the data needed based on user's selection of parameters. This means that you don't retrieve anything that is not needed. This is very useful as it saves bandwith/network traffic.

If you are using Import Mode, it will be fast everywhere because the data is local to the file (PBIX). How are you sharing it?

Your circumstance would only apply if you were using Live (Direct Query) mode, where it has to make a call out to the data source and then present the information that it gets back.

Import mode doesn't work that way. If you publish it to the Service or to a Report Server, it's going to render just as fast for everything as far as how long it takes to retrieve the information from the dataset (which is local on the Service/server.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand that the data is stored with the actual report on the PBIRS server. It's the actual rendering that takes more time as the company's remote locations connect via Citrix, and bandwith is not very good.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.