Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

InsulaBIDev
Frequent Visitor

Finding issues in UTC to local

Hi All,

I am having issues while working with UTC to local date time conversion. The scenario is that we are creating reports and uploading them in the Power BI embedded workspaces on Azure (not publishing to Power BI Service). The end user views them from our web apps.

Here is what I have done and experienced.

1. I created a report with DirectQuery to connect to data from a view. The view returns few date fields which are in UTC format.

2. Under Edit Queries->Transform, I converted the DateTime field to DateTimeZone type

3. Then I converted the time to Local time by selecting "Local Time" option under Transform->Time ribbon button. Which resulted in saying that this operation is not supported in the DirectQuery mode.

4. I converted the report to Import mode instead of DirectQuery mode.

Now there are two problems.

1. I didnt get much information on when the refresh would be done (daily every night, or 8 times per day - I read it somewhere) on the imported data once the report is imported to the Power BI embedded workspace on Azure because I tried creating another record from the web app and tried to refresh the report but it didnt appear in the report.

2. When I try to update the connection string via the command line tool mentioned here I get an error "Ooops, something broke: Operation returned an invalid status code 'BadRequest'.

I dont have an idea why this error is coming.

I also tried enabling the option of "Allow unrestricted measures in DirectQuery mode" in order to not to convert the report to import mode but still after changing the column to local time resulted in forcing me to update the report to import mode.

Please help.

Regards,

Adeel

1 REPLY 1
InsulaBIDev
Frequent Visitor

Hi, We have found an answer to the problem, and it is currently not supported i.e. embedded workspaces on azure directly work with DirectQuery as per this URL.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.