Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Puthenveedu
Frequent Visitor

Find Quarterly average event though the context of the table is daily

Hi,

I need my measure to calculate the average of the fullQuarter  eventhough i am displaying the measure for every date of the month.

I have contract sold on every day of the month and when I display the daily row data I want to also display the average of the corresponding quarter . eg Contract 'ABC' sold on the Feb 15th shows as say $500 , and let the average of the corresponding Quarter is $450. I created a measure with 'AllExcept ' so it will keep the context of the measure still in the quarter level event thought my measure needs to be displayed on a daily row basis.

Date                |     Contract ID            |       Sold Price            |          QuarterlyAverage

02/15/2019     |        ABC                    |         $500                  |          $450     

02/16/2019     |        JKL                      |         $200                  |          $450         

02/17/2019     |        POI                     |         $250                  |          $450             

_mQuarterlyAverage =CALCULATE( AVERAGE( TBL[Sold Price])
,ALLEXCEPT(TBL,'Date'[YearQuarter])
,TBL[statuscodename]= "Closed"
,TBL[StatecodeName]="Active"

)

YearQuarter represent the corresponding quarter of each date eg:2018 Q1, 2018 Q2 etc.

my measure keep calculating average for the full available year as oppose to the corresponding quarter.

please help me find what i am doing wrong. Thanks, JS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Puthenveedu ,

Please try to update your measure as below.

_mQuarterlyAverage =
CALCULATE (
    AVERAGE ( TBL[Sold Price] ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( TBL ),
        TBL[statuscodename] = "Closed"
            || TBL[StatecodeName] = "Active"
    ),
    VALUES ( 'Date'[YearQuarter] )
)

If it doesn't meet your requirement, Kindly share your sample data and excepted result to me if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Puthenveedu ,

Please try to update your measure as below.

_mQuarterlyAverage =
CALCULATE (
    AVERAGE ( TBL[Sold Price] ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( TBL ),
        TBL[statuscodename] = "Closed"
            || TBL[StatecodeName] = "Active"
    ),
    VALUES ( 'Date'[YearQuarter] )
)

If it doesn't meet your requirement, Kindly share your sample data and excepted result to me if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Puthenveedu - did you try the DAX forum with this one? I suspect the answer would require using AVERAGEX with the ALLEXCEPT, rather than just AVERAGE but I think it's likely you'll get a faster and better quality answer if you post it over there.

Good luck!

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.