Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andriikubrak
Frequent Visitor

Filters API does not work using SQL Server with DirectQuery and huge database

I am using SQL Server as a data source with DirectQuery. There is just one table with 6 fields that contains more than 100 million rows. My report contains one visual "Card" that should display count of values from particular field. This report is embedded on a web page. As I don't want to get count of all values I use Power BI API to filter by some name. My filter looks like this:

Snippet

var filter = {
    $schema: "http://powerbi.com/product/schema#advanced",
    target: {
        table: "MyTable",
        column: "MyColumn"
    },
    logicalOperator: "And",
    conditions: [
      {
          operator: "Contains",
          value: "FilteredValue"
      }
    ]
};

The problem is that it doesn't get any result. I can see just loading spinner on my visual. I've tried the same filter for small database with 10 rows and it works as expected.

Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@andriikubrak wrote:

I am using SQL Server as a data source with DirectQuery. There is just one table with 6 fields that contains more than 100 million rows. My report contains one visual "Card" that should display count of values from particular field. This report is embedded on a web page. As I don't want to get count of all values I use Power BI API to filter by some name. My filter looks like this:

Snippet

var filter = {
    $schema: "http://powerbi.com/product/schema#advanced",
    target: {
        table: "MyTable",
        column: "MyColumn"
    },
    logicalOperator: "And",
    conditions: [
      {
          operator: "Contains",
          value: "FilteredValue"
      }
    ]
};

The problem is that it doesn't get any result. I can see just loading spinner on my visual. I've tried the same filter for small database with 10 rows and it works as expected.

Any ideas?

@andriikubrak

Would the loading spinner finally finish and visual get loaded with data? I think is a performance issue which is limited by your Azure database service tier.

@Eric_Zhang

After waiting for half an hour loading spinner stopped and I got a message "Couldn't load the data for this visual" with Http Status Code: 500. What do you mean by Azure SQL Database? How is this related to my case if I use MS SQL Server as a database server? Is there possibilty that PowerBI doesn't handle such big data?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.