Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cleared
Frequent Visitor

Filter on tiles using the new Embedding api

I am using the new emedding api and i want to embedd tiles on an external webpage. However i need to apply a filter to the tiles, for example TableA/ColumnB = "ABC" but i am unable to do this. 

I am doing it by adding a filter-property to my config according to https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-JavaScript/wiki/Embed-Configuration-Details:

filters: [
            {
                target: {
                    table: "TableA",
                    column: "ColumnB"
                },
                operator: "In",
                values: ["ABC"]
            }
        ]

but it doesnt work. If i do the same but embedd a full report, it works perfectly. Is it not possible to add filters to tiles?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Cleared

It seems by design. If you check  Understanding the object hierarchy, you'll find NO filter for tiles and dashboards. There're only filters for Visuals(not implemented, tiles are not visuals), Pages and Reports. If you'd like a filtered tile, add visual level filter before pinning them to dashboard.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
dom99
Advocate V
Advocate V

Hi,

Does anyone know if there are any further updates on this? We are looking to implement filtering on dashboard tiles via the API or otherwise interactivly.

Thanks

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Cleared

It seems by design. If you check  Understanding the object hierarchy, you'll find NO filter for tiles and dashboards. There're only filters for Visuals(not implemented, tiles are not visuals), Pages and Reports. If you'd like a filtered tile, add visual level filter before pinning them to dashboard.

I don't think adding the filters when putting the tile on the dashboard will allow them to be changed at runtime through the api. They'll just be static values as set up when the pinning was done, is that right?

What we want to do is have a selector in our app, and then apply those selections to the tile as the user clicks around.

Hey, 

Did you figure out how to do this? I am also trying to do the same but when I apply filters on the Visual I get an error like "Setting Visual Level filters is not Supported".

Any help is appricieated.

Regards,

Hari

teroman
Frequent Visitor

I had the same problem using the older api, I found you could add a single filter by adding

&$filter=table/column eq 'ABC'

to the iframe.src, but adding multiple filters using " and " would cause none of the filters to be applied.

Really hoping there is a solution for applying parameters to embeded tiles!

That does not seem to work for me. Are you sure that this works when imbedding a tile, and not only for full reports?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.