Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

elliott-pd
Regular Visitor

File Upload in Custom Visual

I've had a client request come up which requires a file to be uploaded to us as part of daily operations.

Our users currently login to Power BI to use the reports we are providing, having a separate stand-alone webpage/app which they also have to login to isn't ideal.

I am wondering if we can embed a file uploader as part of a custom visual. I have played around with custom visuals a little bit, and it is simple enough to create a form upload or ajax upload inside a custom visual but I have run into a bit of a brick wall around "No 'Access-Control-Allow-Originheader is present" errors. At this point, I'm not sure if this is due to me doing something wrong or because the custom visual is being run out of a sandboxed iframe which has a null Origin header. 

Has anyone else ever attempted anything like this? Or is this something that is not possible from inside a custom visual?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Your backend server must allow Access-Control-Allow-Origin to be used along with Power BI.

This requred as we use the sandboxed iframe for custom visuals.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Your backend server must allow Access-Control-Allow-Origin to be used along with Power BI.

This requred as we use the sandboxed iframe for custom visuals.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Thanks for your response Ignat.

The CORS configuration on the server was incorrect, at some point between local dev and deployment to a testing environment the CORS configuration got messed up. Having fixed that I was able to get a solution working.

Hi @elliott-pd, can you explain how you got this working? I am having a similar requirement for upload/download, but it's impossible to access the local device. Thanks in advance!

I'm happy to hear that Smiley Happy

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.