Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dilzeem
Regular Visitor

Field Description automatically set when using DataFlow

Hi, 

I am looking for a particular use case. My research so far hasn't provided too much. 

It essentially something similar to this : https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Set-Field-Properties-automatically/m-p/394925#M180150

I would like to set the Field Description automatically when a user wants to use a dataflow from a particular source. Is this possible now?

I can see no way I can automatically populate the Field Description? Is there any documenatation about to access this field? Can it be inferred using CDM or parquet format? 

dilzeem

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dilzeem,

You can use third-party tools to do these operations on your data model but I don't think it is possible to automatically do these operations.

Add descriptions for everything you create in Power BI! – Data – Marc (data-marc.com)

External tools in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-shex-msft 

Those are not viable options for me as I would like to do this programtically.

I think I have to do this in Purview instead and make the user switch between the two which is unfortunate.

HI @dilzeem,

Perhaps you can consider submitting your requirements as an idea to ask the power bi team to provide the support to use API or other tools to operate with power bi data models.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.