Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bastienlin_
Helper II
Helper II

Extracting a PBI page with Power automate does not support exporting a PowerApps Visual

Hello PBI Community,

I am wondering if it is possible to extract a PBI report with a PowerApps visual in it.
I am using the "Export to file for Power BI Reports" step in my Power automate flow to extract my report to pdf.
The problem is that what I see, instead of my PowerApps visual is this error message "This visual does not support exporting"
Bastienlin__0-1655390107653.png
Seems weird as Power Automate, Power apps and Powerbi are all from Power Platform and should work well together...

Thank you for your help !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AmosHersch
Employee
Employee

Hi @Bastienlin_ 

Unfortunately the "Export to File" Power BI API doesn't support exporting PowerApps visual. You can see the list of limitations here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/export-to#considerations-and-limitation...

It doesn't really matter whether you call the API from Power Automate, or directly from your code.

Thanks,

Amos

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AmosHersch
Employee
Employee

Hi @Bastienlin_ 

Unfortunately the "Export to File" Power BI API doesn't support exporting PowerApps visual. You can see the list of limitations here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/export-to#considerations-and-limitation...

It doesn't really matter whether you call the API from Power Automate, or directly from your code.

Thanks,

Amos

Hi @AmosHersch,
I am using the "Export to file for Power BI Reports" from a Power automate flow:

Bastienlin__0-1655392986881.png

Does it have the same limitations as the "Export to File" API from Power BI that you just shared ?

Thank you for your help !

Hi @Bastienlin_ 

The "Export to file for Power BI Reports" in Power Automate is just a convenient way for users to call the Power BI REST API (low code/no code approach). When you run the flow it calls the Power BI API with your credentials. So it does have the same limitations.

Oh I see ! And one last question, does this PBI API have any difference with the export button in the PBI Service ? :

Bastienlin__0-1655393910909.png

Thank you again for your help !

The API requires the report reside on a dedicated capacity while the export button doesn't require that.

But the API allows more flexibility then the export button, you can provide filters, bookmarks, select which pages to export, export a single visual, use RLS, etc. The API also supports exporting to PNG format.

Regarding the Power Apps visual I believe the export button will return a similar result as the API.

I see,

It is weird, but the export button from PBI Service manage to show the PowerApps visual (but there is no data, i don't know why). What is your opinion about it ? Shouldn't it show the same error message ?

I'm not sure about it, I'm more familiar with the API then the export button

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.