Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pauljevans
Helper I
Helper I

Error: "Creating embed token with effective identity is not supported for this datasource"

Embedding for our customers, and one of them is now getting this error on a few on their client workspaces.

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 10.48.58 AM.png

And here's the dataset in question... Telling us to do Effective Identity.  Unsure what is going on.  

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 10.51.47 AM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AmosHersch
Employee
Employee

My guess - your Azure SQL is configured with SSO enabled.

In "app owns data" scenario Power BI only has the embed token, which can't be used to access the data source.

You should either turn off SSO through Power BI portal, or if you wish to keep SSO enabled then in generate embed token request provide the token for accessing the data source in "identity blob" property

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AmosHersch
Employee
Employee

My guess - your Azure SQL is configured with SSO enabled.

In "app owns data" scenario Power BI only has the embed token, which can't be used to access the data source.

You should either turn off SSO through Power BI portal, or if you wish to keep SSO enabled then in generate embed token request provide the token for accessing the data source in "identity blob" property

Not sure if this is the solution, but learned a lot. Thank you for your time. Lol. 

pauljevans
Helper I
Helper I

Reports do come up just fine in their power bi web portal

Hi @pauljevans I think that the error message might be misleading. AFAIK this error refers specifically to the identityBlob (token) property of the effective identity. The rules for this property are as follows:

1. If your model is AS on-prem or Azure AS - you must not provide identity blob

2. If your model is in Power BI dataset - you must provide identity blob if you have SSO enabled, since that's the token Power BI will use for connecting to the data source - Is it posible you have SSO enabled, but you didn't provide the identityBlob to connect to the data source?

Good info to know thank you. We are not setting up identity blob, it's a "app owns data" setup using B2C local logins to auth users. 

After working with the data person, dataset has data source mix of DataFlows (legacy), DataFlows, and azure SQL

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.