Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KevinSnow
Frequent Visitor

Error generating an embed token with a composite model

We have a Power BI Embed application for a number of reports. Recently we added a report to our embed application that points to a composite model. When we do that, we get the following error:

message=RDL Report cannot connect to dataset xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx because XMLA permissions are off

I've tried the following so far.

• Verified the report works directly inside the Power BI service
  • Verified I can connect via XMLA to the composite model
  • Ensure the service principal used by the embed application has access to both datasets
  • Ensure the service principal used by the embed application has access to both workspaces
  • Updated GenerateTokenRequestV2 to include both sets of dataset ids and workspace ids instead of just the dataset and workspace the report is directly pointed to
  • Verified we weren't violating any published limitations under: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/embed-token/generate-token

Is there anything else anyone can think of? Is this a known limitation?

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@KevinSnow when you say that you have "A connection to a global dataset ..." I believe this is what the limitation refers to as "DirectQuery connection to a Power BI datasets".  Your first dataset is connected to the second dataset in direct query mode (regardless of the fact that they reside in different workspaces).

This limitation in Power BI embedded is expected to be lifted in a few weeks, but currently it's not supported.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
KevinSnow
Frequent Visitor

@AmosHersch 

The composite model contains two parts
1) A small internal dataset that is populated based on report parameter values
2) A connection to a global dataset in a separate workspace. The global dataset is refreshed nightly and contains a long-running pull from Azure Blob Storage. It goes directly to the blob account and not through a gateway connection.

I did not find where the case we are trying to perform is listed as a limitation, but maybe I missed it?

@lbendlin - I will look into getting a support ticket created for this if it's not something that is under a known limitation.

@KevinSnow when you say that you have "A connection to a global dataset ..." I believe this is what the limitation refers to as "DirectQuery connection to a Power BI datasets".  Your first dataset is connected to the second dataset in direct query mode (regardless of the fact that they reside in different workspaces).

This limitation in Power BI embedded is expected to be lifted in a few weeks, but currently it's not supported.

@AmosHersch Do you have an updated ETA on the lifting of this restriction as it is still in place.

Hi @leroymeares ,

The limitation was removed.

You can see brief instructions for generating an embed token which will allow this scenario here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/generate-embed-token#directquery-for-po...

Thanks,

Amos

Amos

Thank you for the update.

I am using GenerateTokenRequest from the Microsoft.PowerBI.Api.V2.Models namespace and i cannot find a constructor where i can pass in a list of datasets, it seems the dataset property is a string. Do you know if i can pass a list with a seperator in this string?

Leroy

Seems like you're using an old version of Power BI C# SDK which is deprecated AFAIK, see here from 2.5 years ago:

Announcing Power BI APIs .NET SDK v3 | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

The latest package is here: NuGet Gallery | Microsoft.PowerBI.Api 4.9.0

From the Readme in github repo: https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-CSharp :

Install-Package Microsoft.PowerBI.Api

AmosHersch
Employee
Employee

@KevinSnow  what does your composite model connect to and how is it connected?

It's possible that your scenario isn't yet supported by Power BI embedded.

For example there's this limitation documented:

• Using Power BI Embedded with datasets that include a DirectQuery connection to a Power BI datasets or Azure Analysis Services model isn't currently supported.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-s...

Most limitations regarding embedding a report with composite models are due to be removed in the comming weeks.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Interesting.  If you have a Pro license you can consider raising a Pro ticket at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/  .  Curious to hear what they have to say about this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors