Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

powerbi_dev
Frequent Visitor

Embedding paginated reports error: Unable to render paginated report

Hello.

I have read the documentation, but haven't found why this is happening. So paginated report is working great in app.powerbi.com website, but when I am trying to embed it into our website using Service Principal it starts loading (I see UI visuals with page number) and then I get error:

Unable to render paginated report
There was an error contacting an underlying data source. Manage your credentials or gateway settings on the management page. Please verify that the data source is available, your credentials are correct and that your gateway settings are valid.

If you contact support, please provide these details.

Timestamp (UTC)2022-11-29T19:23:20.556Z
Root Activity ID14259c54-cef8-4c0a-41f2-370a63eddfe9
Session ID000044e0d7c246b5b7cf5c2fc608c1ea
Tenant ID
Cluster URIhttps://WABI-US-WEST2-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Report ID48e18d00-dc6a-4128-95c5-3c8a871a3137
Viewer version2022.11.1.3179

Other standard reports are working great embeded and not embeded, paginated report is working great no embeded, but fails embeded. I configured workspace, user.

Is there some embeding security configuration I need to do for dataset or data source or gateway to make it work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AmosHersch
Employee
Employee

Hi @powerbi_dev ,

This error usually means that the embed token wasn't generated correctly.

If you have a paginated report with a Power BI dataset as a data source you should use V2 embed token (AKA multiresource embed token), which are generated using this API Embed Token - Generate Token - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn. The request should include the dataset ID and like this example Embed Token - Generate Token - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AmosHersch
Employee
Employee

@powerbi_dev 

I believe you're right, AFAIK there isn't a good way to retrieve the dataset ID programatically. 

The only possible way is to call  v1.0/myorg/reports/{reportId}/datasources  and parse the dataset ID from the response. It is there but requires some parsing to extract it since its not retruned as a seperate parameter.

It might be best to raise an idea for this issue through PowerBI's ideas site https://ideas.powerbi.com/

AmosHersch
Employee
Employee

Hi @powerbi_dev ,

This error usually means that the embed token wasn't generated correctly.

If you have a paginated report with a Power BI dataset as a data source you should use V2 embed token (AKA multiresource embed token), which are generated using this API Embed Token - Generate Token - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn. The request should include the dataset ID and like this example Embed Token - Generate Token - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn

Hey, You were right! After lots of retries it helped. But before i accept as a solution. What is the Microsoft idea of me getting dataset ID? Because when I request report information from /v1.0/myorg/reports, paginated reports does not contain dataset ids, while other reports do. Trying v1.0/myorg/reports/{reportId}/datasources doesn't return dataset ID either, but some other stuff. So what is a Microsoft plan for developers to get dataset ID?

Microsoft documentation for GET https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/reports endpoint:

Since paginated reports (RDL) don't have a dataset, the dataset ID value in the API response for paginated reports isn't displayed.

How should I get dataset ID for paginated report programically using API?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.