Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

adrianvp

Embedding paginate reports with dynamic Dataset

Hi All,

Hopefully a simple one. We currently embed reports in Power BI into our own application (SaaS solution). We can successfully embed reports with dynamic datasets and RLS. Everything works as expected.

However, we are testing embedding paginated reports which work fine if the dataset provided to the report is that same as the one used to create the report. If we try change the dataset for the paginated report we get the error : Dataset id xxx is requried by report yyy but was not found in generate token request.

Is it possible to use dynamic datasets with paginated reports?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AmosHersch
Employee
Employee

Hi @adrianvp ,

Unfortunately dynamic binding of a paginated report to a dataset is not a supported feature.

This is  mainly because a dataset is a data source for a paginated report, and there can be more than one dataset for the same paginated report, in oppose to a Power BI report which only has one dataset (directly connected).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
adrianvp

Thanks Amos, really appreciate the response. We can stop banging our heads against the wall now 🙂

AmosHersch
Employee
Employee

Hi @adrianvp ,

Unfortunately dynamic binding of a paginated report to a dataset is not a supported feature.

This is  mainly because a dataset is a data source for a paginated report, and there can be more than one dataset for the same paginated report, in oppose to a Power BI report which only has one dataset (directly connected).

Hello @AmosHersch 
I saw another post of you saying it would be theorically possible to rebind a paginated report dataset using this documentation.

My usecase is a paginated report pointing to a PBI dataset, that I would like to rebind programatically (using the datasetId for example) to another one with the same schema.

Do you think that could work?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/reports/update-datasources-in-group

Sure it should work. If you have a paginated report with a PBI Dataset as a data souce you should be able to change that dataset using the 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/reports/update-datasources-in-group just like you change any other data source of your paginated report

that seems great, I'll give it a try, thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.