Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Embedding for Non-Power BI users

I have a very simple question that I havn't been able to find a clear answer for, maybe it comes down to my limited knowledge of web-development / security. Case:

* My customer wants to embed Power BI content into a website. Non Power BI users are supposed to have access to the data, so we are looking at a pro license for key users + an EM1 license model. So am I correct in assuming, that in these "app owns data" scenarios, the only limitation to accessing this embedded content for any user, is the access restriction to that website/app? So theoretically, if I embedd the content on a public website, everyone in the world with an internet connection can see it?

Thanks in advance for making this crystal clear.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a very simple question that I havn't been able to find a clear answer for, maybe it comes down to my limited knowledge of web-development / security. Case:

* My customer wants to embed Power BI content into a website. Non Power BI users are supposed to have access to the data, so we are looking at a pro license for key users + an EM1 license model. So am I correct in assuming, that in these "app owns data" scenarios, the only limitation to accessing this embedded content for any user, is the access restriction to that website/app? So theoretically, if I embedd the content on a public website, everyone in the world with an internet connection can see it? 

@Anonymous

Yes. the access restriction in the website controls who can access the embeded content. However you can still apply RLS to limit users see their individual data. Note that at this moment the RLS only works for the old "Power BI Embedded", "Embedding for Non-Power BI users" is a new placement and the correlated RLS feature is not available and will be released in next quarter.

Can every one in the world see it? Yes, if you put it in a public website without setting RLS. However, for cost saving, if you'd like the embedded reports internet public, you can see "publish to web" as a fore reply mentioned.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous

Yes. the access restriction in the website controls who can access the embeded content. However you can still apply RLS to limit users see their individual data. Note that at this moment the RLS only works for the old "Power BI Embedded", "Embedding for Non-Power BI users" is a new placement and the correlated RLS feature is not available and will be released in next quarter.

Can every one in the world see it? Yes, if you put it in a public website without setting RLS. However, for cost saving, if you'd like the embedded reports internet public, you can see "publish to web" as a fore reply mentioned.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks both for your replies. I feel the later most clearly answers my question, so I accepted that as the answer. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will there be any authentication for the website?

You can either use embedding (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-embedding-content/) where you have the control to whom you give the access token.

Or you can use publish to web (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-publish-to-web/) where everyone can see the shared resource.

The difference is that you need a Premium license for the first embedding scenario.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.