cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dustinetoleteey
Regular Visitor

Embedding Paginated Report with a Power BI Dataset

Hello. I am trying to embed a paginated report in my web application that uses a Power BI Dataset as its datasource. I can get the embed token, but when rendering it, I am getting this error: 

dustinetoleteey_0-1594834990163.png

The dataset being used and the paginated report are on the same Power BI workspace. 

Any help will be appreciated. 

7 REPLIES 7
phil_harris
Frequent Visitor

Ah, I am also trying to do the same thing.

1. Able to build, and view the report went built against a PBI dataset

2. Able to publish the Paginated Report to PBI Workspace - Also works fine, and renders, views, etc the PBI dataset.

3. When embedding, the token etc is generated fine;  However, the DYNAMIC DataBinding V2 token generation methods do NOT work.

4. When loading into embedded application, same error as yours. The is BS for sure. 

5. When I use the token from the Paginated sample, all embeddes fine.

6. Clearly something not tested, broken or such thing with Embedded PBI datasets.

7. The other obvious issue is the ability to dynamically bind dataset to PowerBI paginated reports.

8. This dynamic binding is really the only way to make SaaS multi-tenant applications with 10s of thousands tenants viable - ie same report, many different dynamic datasets. - 

@chrisfin Help ?

It is a known limitation when embeddeding a paginated report in the "app owns data" scenario - @avive and team are working to unblock that in the coming months.

Chris - Any headway on "app owns data" for embedded paginated reports - Phil

The team that owns this hasn't yet been able to fund the work, so right now it won't happen until sometime in 2021 it looks like.

Hi Chris,

Just wanted to check if there are any news on this front? My organization is using shared PBI datasets for paginated reports which aren't supported for embedding at the moment, so just wanted to check if this might change soon before taking the route of completely redesigning data sources.

@chrisfin 

Do you consider to allow datasets published using XMLA endpoint as well? Or it only relates to datasets published by Desktop app?

Eugene.

Thanks Chris,

This dynamic data set construction is actually a really cool way to build dataset. We use the PushDS API (which I wish was richer). But scenarios can be very interesting, such as combining 1st party data and 3rd party data from say their APIs, doing the mashup in code C# to ensure data integrity, and then presenting a unified model to PowerBI (and hopefully Paginated soon).

The other obvious  feature is "respecting the model" in Paginated. But I guess this is the legacy vs the future issue.

If you need some early beta/preview testing let me know.

- phil

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

MBAS on Demand

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Microsoft named a Leader in The Forrester Wave

Microsoft received the highest score of any vendor in both the strategy and current offering categories.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.