Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RobertV
Frequent Visitor

Embed PowerBI report in Dynamics 365 CRM

Hi,

I am looking into the possibility of integrating existing Power BI reports in Dynamics 365 CRM and apply filtering to it. While I haven't found any case where this is demonstrated, I am interested whether this is possible.

So the idea is the following.

- I have several reports about clients, which I can filter by applying a querystring to the URL. (like e.g. "?filter=Client/Id eq 100").

- I want to embed this report on the client page in the CRM, dynamically applying the querystring to the report.

What I have tried:

The CRM is not available to me yet, but I have tried applying the integration using SharePoint as test case.

- Including the report as a Power BI report does not work with the querystring. The querystring is ignored and all data is shown.

- Including the report as an iframe also does not work. I get the message "This content can't be shown in a frame."

So, my question is whether the above could be realized in Power BI?

Thank you in advance.

Best,

Robert

4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Robert,

Embedding in Dynamics and Sharepoint are similar but they are different. Please refer to Dynamics 365 and service-embed-report-spo

The query filter can't work with embedding. please refer to power-bi/service-url-filters#considerations-and-troubleshooting.

The solution could be power-bi/service-admin-rls.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Dale,

Thank you for your message and your suggestions! Too bad the embedding and filtering do not work together.

I have looked at your proposed solution (the RLS), but I am not sure if this would work in my case. The consumers of the reports are my colleagues, who are not restricted to any of the data. However, the reports should be included on each of the client pages in CRM, and should there only display the data of that specific client.

Please tell me if I am looking at it the wrong way!

Best,

Robert

Hi Robert,

After a deep search, I found we only can embed Dashboards and Tiles in Dynamics. Please refer to customer-engagement/basics/add-edit-power-bi-visualizations-dashboard. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

BTW, RLS won't work on those who have Edit permission. 

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now, Is it possible to embed a whole report in Dynamics CRM?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.