Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

daxesh
Helper I
Helper I

Embed Power BI report and JavaScript API

Hello, 

Too much confusions regarding way of embedding power BI report with my web application.

What my requirement is to embed power bi report in my web application and embedded report should be filter by web application's filter.

I found two was to embed report in web application as below

1.Using Power BI API

2.Power BI Embedded.

(It would be great if anyone can make me understand the cost involve in above options)

Now after embedding in any of the above ways i want a custom filters of application to intract with report.For that i found PowerBI-Javascript API. 

https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-JavaScript/wiki

I am not sure will above Power BI - Javascript will work with option 1 or 2.

It will be great if anyone can focuses on this.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@daxesh wrote:

Hello, 

Too much confusions regarding way of embedding power BI report with my web application.

What my requirement is to embed power bi report in my web application and embedded report should be filter by web application's filter.

1.Using Power BI API

2.Power BI Embedded.

(It would be great if anyone can make me understand the cost involve in above options)

Now after embedding in any of the above ways i want a custom filters of application to intract with report.For that i found PowerBI-Javascript API. 

Thanks in advance.

@daxesh

Regarding cost, license is required in Option 1. Every user to view the report need a license. Check Power BI pricing.

As to option 2 Power BI Embedded, there's no license involved, the cost depends on how often your view the reports. Check Power BI Embedded Pricing. So you would evaluate the cost and compare $9.99/month(for pro license)*users to $5/100 Sessions to make a proper purchase plan in your case. 

Javascript API works for both. Regarding custom filters, you can check this live demo Custom filter pane.

By the way, at this moment, there's no refresh feature for Power BI Embedded and the direct query mode only supports azure sql database/datawarehouse. To "refresh" the reports using other data sources, you would have to refresh the pbix in Power BI desktop and re-import the report in Power BI Embedded.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@daxesh wrote:

Hello, 

1.Using Power BI API

2.Power BI Embedded.

Thanks in advance.

@daxesh

Regarding cost, license is required in Option 1. Every user to view the report need a license. Check Power BI pricing.

As to option 2 Power BI Embedded, there's no license involved, the cost depends on how often your view the reports. Check Power BI Embedded Pricing. So you would evaluate the cost and compare $9.99/month(for pro license)*users to $5/100 Sessions to make a proper purchase plan in your case. 

Javascript API works for both. Regarding custom filters, you can check this live demo Custom filter pane.

By the way, at this moment, there's no refresh feature for Power BI Embedded and the direct query mode only supports azure sql database/datawarehouse. To "refresh" the reports using other data sources, you would have to refresh the pbix in Power BI desktop and re-import the report in Power BI Embedded.

Hi, do you know if you can embed a report without using azure?

luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

using power bi report server.... You can embed as explained here  -   https://www.kasperonbi.com/embedding-power-bi-reports-with-power-bi-report-server/

Hi Eric_Zhang,

I am hitting up an old post, but I am interested in knowing if the JS API can work with the Report Server? If not, is this an upcoming update?

Also, any other alternate through which we can control the reports hosted within the Report Server?

Thanks in advance.

Any news on this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors