Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Embed Power BI Report Using ASP.NET SDK for UserOwnsData

Hi,

my goal is to embed PowerBI reports in an intranet available for a very limited number of users (each with the 9.99 monthly license or alternatively with some capacity). The users are all in the corporate ActiveDirectory. I was able to create a workspace, publish the report, assign roles and register the app in Azure.
I could not find the assign permissions page which the demos show but did find an Authentication page where I could change my app from being multi tenant to single tenant and add a redirect URL. Not sure if this will be enough permission side. At least it got rid of the wwird note about multi tenant requiring external validation.

My main problem now is getting the samples to work.
I have downloaded the GitHub samples https://github.com/microsoft/PowerBI-Developer-Samples

and compiled the .NET Framework, UserOwnsData source code.

I need help in compiling the web.config and (if also required) the cloud.config files

I was not expecting for the web.config file to ask me to provide clientId and clientSecret! I thought these were generated for AppOwnsData.

This link https://docs.microsoft.com/it-it/power-bi/developer/embedded/embed-sample-for-your-organization#appl...

suggests I should be including a cloud.config file with these keys Application ID, Workspace ID, Report ID, AADAuthorityUrl.
The "Welcome and Course Introduction | Power BI Developer in a Day" on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv-ep90wse8&list=PL1N57mwBHtN1AGWHnJMhtvJCIG_IlC07D&index=1 was made in June and is of no use now as it discusses an old version of the GitHub PowerBi embedded DeveloperSamples, which can no longer be downloaded from GitHub. For some reasons all links to the old samples have been wiped away and they would have been useful to have (i.e. for webs using WebForms).

So what I think is that changes to PowerBI are being made so rapidly that the documentation is not keeping up and, as a beginner, I am struggling to understand how to do the embedding. I infact suspect the config files in the GitHub UserOwnsData may be incorrect but am a beginner in this technlogy so can't be sure.

Can anyone provide me with a working sample of "Embed Power BI Report Using ASP.NET SDK for UserOwnsData" with correctly filled in config files (naturally changing guids to dummy values)? Or at least tell me which keys I need to have in these two config files for the sample to work?

Thanks,

Daniela

1 REPLY 1
visuresh
Employee
Employee

Exactly, all the samples and documentation are oudated. Can anyone please provide a link to working UserOwnsdata sample?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.