Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Effort estimation building a report

Hello there,

Can someone provide details with his/her experiences on how to estimate Power BI building report (Simple and complex). 

My client is planning to move from QlikView/QlikSense to Power BI and he is wondering how many developers/time we need to build a report.

Any advice is welcome as I'm new with this tool.

Many Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
csolutions
Frequent Visitor

I've created reports in Qlikview and Qliksense before. Currently working in Power BI. I think you'll see a big decrease in development time going to Power BI - depending on how you set it up. If you couple it with Azure or data flow, then map all data sets to the main data source it'll make creating the reports a lot easier. Also depends on if you have plans for mobile deployment. 

Power BI pushes updates regularly. One example of an update is the ability to copy and paste objects from one desktop file to another. Something simple like that can save a lot of time when building a completely new report - from a formatting standpoint.

I would strongly suggest looking at the RLS piece as a consideration for timing. If you need the reports broken down by user - the last time I used Qlikview you had to set up users individually in the script section. I don't recall if you could limit a user's view. Power BI you can set up roles and then in the service area (browser view) you assign the user to the role. I think it's very simple and easy to use. 

We deal with millions of records and have thousands of data tables. We can generally have report built within a few weeks (very involved w/ multiple pages and RLS). We have one developer that maintains about 5 main departments with multiple reports within each.

Our determining factor ended up being price. You can't beat what a Power BI pro license offers over the cost of a Qlik license.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
csolutions
Frequent Visitor

I've created reports in Qlikview and Qliksense before. Currently working in Power BI. I think you'll see a big decrease in development time going to Power BI - depending on how you set it up. If you couple it with Azure or data flow, then map all data sets to the main data source it'll make creating the reports a lot easier. Also depends on if you have plans for mobile deployment. 

Power BI pushes updates regularly. One example of an update is the ability to copy and paste objects from one desktop file to another. Something simple like that can save a lot of time when building a completely new report - from a formatting standpoint.

I would strongly suggest looking at the RLS piece as a consideration for timing. If you need the reports broken down by user - the last time I used Qlikview you had to set up users individually in the script section. I don't recall if you could limit a user's view. Power BI you can set up roles and then in the service area (browser view) you assign the user to the role. I think it's very simple and easy to use. 

We deal with millions of records and have thousands of data tables. We can generally have report built within a few weeks (very involved w/ multiple pages and RLS). We have one developer that maintains about 5 main departments with multiple reports within each.

Our determining factor ended up being price. You can't beat what a Power BI pro license offers over the cost of a Qlik license.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Super, thanks a lot for those precious advices !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.