Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mcostner
Regular Visitor

Dynamically Update Query Based on User ID - Power BI Embedded

Hi Everyone,

I recently embedd a Power BI report into a web app. Data are gathered from a SQL Server database.

When a user logs into the web app, I'd like for the queries to update based on that user's ID. So, something like the statement below where the "userid" value dynamically changes.

select * from table where userid = 1234

My initial thought was to use row level security, but since we have hundreds of users, setting up the individual role for each user seems like an inefficient process. I don't want to add the userid as a filter since a user could clear the filter and then see other user's information.

Passing the userid as part of a URL parameter would be ideal but that doesn't seem like it is possible according the link below.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-url-filters

Has anyone come across this requirement before? Any thoughts or suggested solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael

3 REPLIES 3
RyanStewart
Regular Visitor

Was there ever a good resolution to this issue?  I am curious about doing a similar thing.  The links provided about the API were not clear to me.

Any more information?

v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Have you checked the Power BI Embeded Query parameter API?

If the UserId could be defined as a Query Parameter, then you could take use of the API to update it.

Check the API refernece:

Set parameters

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael, 

I recently asked a question about Query Parameters API and not had a reply yet

When Setting Parameters I am encountering an issue, it may also help Michael above with his query parameters if he has a problem. 

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Query-Parameters-API/m-p/391898#M11635

Thanks
Alexander

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.