cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Jeffrey_B Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic Role Level Security in SSAS Multidimensional model to Power BI Embedded with live connection

I am trying to setup Dynamic Row Level Security in an on premise SSAS Multidimensional model. I setup a live connection to Power BI Embedded ('App owns data' method) using a 'master user' instead of the service principal (no big reason for that, just service principal is newer and I thought there is bigger chance of issues). When getting the token through an API, it works without the RLS. When i add RLS, it gives an error: 

"Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later."

I setup RLS through this topic: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/RLS-with-Power-BI-Embedded-and-SSAS-Multidimensional/td-p...

and this information: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded-row-level-security

Since I am working with an on premise SSAS Multidimensional model, it's not possible to add roles in Power BI Desktop and CustomData() option isn't available:

"Using the CustomData feature

The CustomData feature only works for models that lie in Azure Analysis Services, and it only works in Connect live mode. Unlike users and roles, the Custom data feature can't be set inside a .pbix file. When generating a token with the Custom data feature, you need to have a username."

I added a new role in SSAS, added the 'master user' to this role, added read permissions and set the following MDX syntax in the 'Allowed member set' of the company dimension:

STRTOMEMBER('[Dim Company].[BK_Company].&[{'+USERNAME()+'}]')

So I used the UserName() function to pass the BK_Company value in the API when generating the token in the portal (the 'app' which is used to embed the Power BI reports), which I want to use to filter.

Any thoughts..?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

PBI Community Highlights

PBI Community Highlights

Check out what's new in the Power BI Community!

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 118 members 1,677 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: