Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dyanmically changing the title based on the drill down

Hi

How to change the title in a chart with drill down feature to show the bread crumbs of the drill down.

Say I have drilled down from year to quarter. Then the title should show Year-2016 Quarter Q1.

Cheers

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let's take a scenario where the hierarchy is:
Level1(Top of the hierarchy. In your case, Year)
Level2(Month)
And so.

The DAX to create a dynamic label while drilling down on any chart would be:
Selected Value = IF(ISBLANK(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Level1])), "Default label", IF(ISBLANK(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Level2])), SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Level1]),SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Level2])))
hymieho
Resolver I
Resolver I
GCoulson

I haven't seen anything to suggest Microsoft have addressed this one yet.

I agree that although cosmetic this one iis actually pretty fundamental. I've had lots of business feedbackdemanding this context, and it really is analysis presentation 101 that charts/graphs should have a title (without which bars/funnels/charts have no clear reference point). My kids would be lose marks for not including a chart title in maths homework.

Unfortunatley this is one of the reasons that using Power BI (along with inability to drill down correctly on published dashboards among others) with management here is still a risk to analysts' credibility.

Adding this feature (even by means of a standard breadcrumb trail) would certainly improve the chances of business adoption.

GCoulson

I haven't seen anything to suggest Microsoft have addressed this one yet.

I agree that although cosmetic this one iis actually pretty fundamental. I've had lots of business feedbackdemanding this context, and it really is analysis presentation 101 that charts/graphs should have a title (without which bars/funnels/charts have no clear reference point). My kids would be lose marks for not including a chart title in maths homework.

Unfortunatley this is one of the reasons that using Power BI (along with inability to drill down correctly on published dashboards among others) with management here is still a risk to analysts' credibility.

Adding this feature (even by means of a standard breadcrumb trail) would certainly improve the chances of business adoption.

Brian_M
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

You create a measure that returns text. The measure detects the state of various filters and concatenates various peices of text accordingly. Will Thompson shows how at about 28 minute mark of this youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2bZpNZ6uIA

wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hey @Brian_M, the video only shows once a filter has been clicked and applied across the page. What @CheenuSing appears to be referring to is when you drill down to another level of the hierarchy. So in this case, the hierarchy would be Year -> Quarter and it would be in one visualization. I tried tinkering with this and I can't seem to get the value out of the filter, I'll see what else I can find out.

Brian_M
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Ah, I missed that!

I wonder whether you could write DAX to detect the drill down, perhaps you could detect the Year context disappears altogether?

wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Yeah I'm not sure if that's possible. What's interesting is if you enable drill down and click on a visual, under "visual filter" it says that it's been applied. However, clicking on a visual without drill down enabled doesn't add a "filter" to any of the filter levels on the right side pane (visual, page or report). 

If clicking on a part of visual changes everything else on a page, you would think that's a "page" filter, albeit a temporary one as once you click out of the visual, the filter should be removed.

Just a couple of other thoughts is all...

Brian_M
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Sorry, forgot to mention.  You turn off the exisitng title and place a text measure in a single item card above the chart to act as the dynamically generated title.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.