Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PeacefulBeing
Frequent Visitor

Download Power BI report in code

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to download a Power BI report in code (C# for example)?

We would like to automate a download of a existing Power BI Report.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Kind regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sorry I misunderstood.

Currently, the only support for export-to-pdf is in Power BI Desktop and not in the Power BI Service. Unfortunately, there is no way to automate generating PDF files with Power BI Desktop. I do not think what you want will be possible until the Power BI team adds export-to-pdf capabilities to the Power BI Service and also support to call it through the API. This feature is on the Power BI team's roadmap but I have no idea when we might see this in preview.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
umeshlade

Is is possible to download power BI report using SSIS script or using C#?

I want to automate report download from power bi server by passing dynamic parameter. 

@PeacefulBeing @TedPattison  how you done this in your application 

TedPattison
Employee
Employee

Yes, you can use the Power BI SDK which provides methods in PowerBiClient.Reports. Here is an example.

PowerBIClient pbiClient = GetPowerBiClient();

var reportStream = pbiClient.Reports.ExportReportInGroup(appWorkspaceId, report.Id); string filePath = @"C:\tempExport\" + report.Name + ".pbix"; FileStream stream1 = new FileStream(filePath, FileMode.Create, FileAccess.ReadWrite); reportStream.CopyToAsync(stream1).Wait(); reportStream.Close(); stream1.Close(); stream1.Dispose();

Hi @TedPattison

First of all thank you for your reply and info/code sample.

Excuse me, i rephrase, can you download a PDF/PNG from a report in C# from a report or dashboard?

Sorry I misunderstood.

Currently, the only support for export-to-pdf is in Power BI Desktop and not in the Power BI Service. Unfortunately, there is no way to automate generating PDF files with Power BI Desktop. I do not think what you want will be possible until the Power BI team adds export-to-pdf capabilities to the Power BI Service and also support to call it through the API. This feature is on the Power BI team's roadmap but I have no idea when we might see this in preview.

No, it is my fault for not stating my question properly 🙂

Thank you very much for both replies as they helped me both!

kind regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors