Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SamTrexler
Helper IV
Helper IV

Dot-Net web app - controlling the report

I need resources and examples that I can provide to the .NET web app programmers in my office to solve their problems.

I am the analyst, data modeler, report author and all-around Power BI guy in our organization at this point - but I am not a .NET programmer. I have developed a number of reports, and now we want to share those with users via our in-house web app. 

Based on information I've found and given them, the .NET programmers have used the App Owns Data model to embed the reports, and this works okay. However, they have two problems, and I understand the concepts of embedding, but am not qualified to understand the details of their code or to research the problems directly.

They are frustrated trying to find the information they need, not being familiar with Power BI or its APIs and resources and community. And they say that most of what they've found relates to desktop apps. So any information needs to relate specifically to web apps.

So at this point I will be the intermedary, and get the appropriate developers into the discusssion.

First issue - report linking:

The reports have web links to other reports which have related data. So, for example, if they are viewing data in the Summary table for a specific Station, I provide a URL link that takes them to reports for each of the Detail tables, filtered for the same Station. Each detail report opens in a separate tab, and that's okay.

However, in the web app it opens a tab in Power BI Service, and needs another login with a Power BI account. We want the user to stay in our application, using the authentication we have already made using the master account and necessary tokens. To do this, we need to capture the fact that they've clicked on the url. The programmers say the on-click action is not firing - forgive me if that's not exactly accurate in .NET web application speak.

And I'm not sure they're clear on where to go from there in order to use that url and open the referenced report. I have suggested they use the group id and report id in the url, get a token for the new session and open that report in a new tab. But of course, I have no idea how to do that in .NET web apps.

Can anyone point me to examples and resources for .NET web apps that I can provide to them in order to solve this? Both successfully capturing the action, and then displaying the related report in a new tab. 

Second issue - Editing reports:

They are just now getting to the point where we want to allow the user to edit reports. I understand that it's possible to display the menu (File, View, Edit Report,...) and I believe it is even possible to customize it. For example, we might want to disable "Save" so the users can't modify reports we provide, but enable "Save As" so they can use our reports to create their own. And we would like to use our application's user roles to control what they can do - for example, only users with a "BI Author" role would be able to edit and save reports.

Can anyone provide examples and resources for how to open and control the menu in a .NET web app?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide. 

Sam

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.