Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mrogunlana
Frequent Visitor

Does powerbi-visuals-tools 3.0 Support Multi-Datasources?

In powerbi desktop. I can add multiple datasources like so:

powerbi-3-mulit-datasource-desktop.png

I'm currently running powerbi-visuals-tools 3.0, is there a feature available in this release that allows multiple datasource per visual in pbi developer online:

powerbi-3-mulit-datasource-developer.png

Thanks for your help in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The Power BI Service is the name for the online portal for Power BI, where you publish reports and datasets to.

So, use Power BI Desktop to create your model and publish it to here as normal.

You can then edit this published report in the Power BI Service and add a developer visual, which can then utilise this more complex data model.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
dm-p
Super User
Super User

I presume your single dataset is a result of creating the report in the Power BI Service from 'Get Data'? It's not the best place to start modelling from if doing anything more complex than a single dataset. If you publish your desktop report to the Power BI Service (online), then you will be able to use multiple datasets.

powerbi-visuals-tools is used for custom visuals development has no effect on the datasets you're using in your report.

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@mrogunlana,

As far as I know, that has no relation with powerbi-visuals-tools. It all depends on the dataset.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Ok, I was referring to the online PBI developer environment and its ability to support multiple datasets. Currently, I only see an option to add one dataset per online developer report. I am aware the desktop supports multiple datasets per report, but I wanted to see if this option is available for the online dev report environment for testin purposes?

The online modelling capabilities are very limited. When I need more complex models for developing visuals against, I just create my data model locally in Desktop and then publish to the Power BI Service. You can then edit the report and add in your developer visual, utilising these pre-prepared data sets.

The only consideration to make here is that if you need to re-publish then you will lose any instances of the developer visual you might have set up for debugging, so at this point, I download a copy of the report to re-edit in Desktop so that I can re-publish and not lose my changes.

Thanks @dm-p

When you say "Publish to powerbi service" you mean a custom web service that serves the complex model? Just want to clarify. 

The Power BI Service is the name for the online portal for Power BI, where you publish reports and datasets to.

So, use Power BI Desktop to create your model and publish it to here as normal.

You can then edit this published report in the Power BI Service and add a developer visual, which can then utilise this more complex data model.

I see, I wonder if PBI Online developer will support multi-datasets in the future? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.