Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

somedaygone

Doc update needed - Power BI Embedded "This content isn't available" and "To view this report, ask"

I had a problem using Power BI Embedded "AppOwnsData" sample. I setup an application account and ran the sample and the report wouldn't load, saying "This content isn't available." I couldn't find any answers online other than "your token is bad." I took the token from the executing code in the debugger and tried using it in the Embedded Playground, which gave me the error message "To view this report, ask the author for access". Then I did the reverse and got a valid token from the API sample (using my own logon which I had working before I started using the application account) and stuffed it into the code in the debugger and that worked. This told me that the code was indeed getting a bad token using the application account. The API doc says the app account only needs these permissions: 

• Report.ReadWrite.All or Report.Read.All
  • Dataset.ReadWrite.All or Dataset.Read.All

My dataset uses a Gateway, and it appears that Gateway.Read.All permission is also needed on the app account. Because the error messages were so vague and I couldn't find any help, I thought it might be a good idea to post it here for the next person stuck.

Microsoft, is there a way to update the API doc to show this permission is required for datasets using a Gateway? Extra points if the error message could be improved! The second error message was pointing at a report access issue, when the root cause was a Gateway permission.

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.