Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do i require license to build custom visuals?

I have developed a visual using trial license, but my company bought a Pro license on a different account. I am now using that account with the Pro license. Do i have to rebuild my visual with Pro license somehow? We are not putting it on the marketplace, we are using it as a .pbiviz file to import the visual in our reports. 

My concerne is that the visual may stop working after the Trial license has ended. Is this true?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

No, you don't need a license to build custom visuals. Packaging visuals into .pbiviz files is all done local to your machine and just requires the necessary dependencies (node + the packages). Otherwise, this part doesn't care about whether you're licensed or not. For instance, you can set up CI processes in places like GitHub Actions, which have no dependencies on the Power BI Service; just the modules in your package.json.

However, the process of debugging a visual is much more easily done using the Service. For debugging and access to the developer visual, as long as you work in your personal workspace then a free tier license will be enough. A Pro license is only needed if you're debugging in a workspace other than your personal one, as non-personal workspaces are a Pro feature.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
dm-p
Super User
Super User

No, you don't need a license to build custom visuals. Packaging visuals into .pbiviz files is all done local to your machine and just requires the necessary dependencies (node + the packages). Otherwise, this part doesn't care about whether you're licensed or not. For instance, you can set up CI processes in places like GitHub Actions, which have no dependencies on the Power BI Service; just the modules in your package.json.

However, the process of debugging a visual is much more easily done using the Service. For debugging and access to the developer visual, as long as you work in your personal workspace then a free tier license will be enough. A Pro license is only needed if you're debugging in a workspace other than your personal one, as non-personal workspaces are a Pro feature.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.