Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Direct Query not supported with V1 embed token

Hi,

I have a power automate flow that uses "Export to file for Power BI Reports" action with defined Identities (Username, Role and Dataset). When I trigger the flow, it returns an error "Embedding a report with a model which has a Direct Query connection to another model is not supported with V1 embed token". The report being exported is using a composite model with import and direct query combined. This error only occurs when Identities is in place, otherwise, it runs successfully. Does anyone know a work around for this?

Cheers 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AmosHersch
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

Exporting a report with a model with DirectQuery to another model with effective identity isn't currently supported.

I don't think this limitation is documented as this is pretty advances scenario.

As far as I know it should be supported sometime soon, but I can't guarantee when.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AmosHersch
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

Exporting a report with a model with DirectQuery to another model with effective identity isn't currently supported.

I don't think this limitation is documented as this is pretty advances scenario.

As far as I know it should be supported sometime soon, but I can't guarantee when.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Amos, 

Is there any other workaround we can apply in the Power BI or Power Automate side, just so we can incorporate RLS?

Hi,

Power BI API doesn't support it, and I don't know of any possible workaround.

The Power Automate is just a wrapper to allow calling the Power BI API as part of a flow, so it can't help in that matter.

I have just came upon this post because I got the same error message and actually, there is a solution for this. You can achieve this using this method instead:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/embed-token/generate-token

There a specific usecase that is exactly what you need:

Example of generating an embed token for two datasets with RLS identities and a single report with r... 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.