Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MoorsTech
Advocate I
Advocate I

Deploying large number of client specific dataset

Hey everyone,

we have a bit of an advanced usecase that we're trying to optimize:
We have one Power BI template that is published across 50+ workspaces. Each publication/workspace has its own set of parameters that are currently being manually adjusted. The files then need to have their query steps applied and be published. All of this is a fairly involved and error prone process.

We're therefore looking into automating this entire process using the PowerBI API as there are endpoints for

1. Uploading a .pbix file
  2. Changing parameters
  3. Refreshing datasets

This is a workable solution for us but I was wondering if there might be a better way? Something like a private / organizational appsource Power BI app or similiar. Does anyone here have some experience with large scale, multi-client Power BI deployments?

Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MoorsTech,

I think you have had the best solution. The App focuses on data organizing rather than deployment management. So if we'd like to do some work programmatically, we need to use the APIs (Application Programming Interface). There is also a PowerShell module. Please refer to powershell/power-bi/overview?view=powerbi-ps.

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MoorsTech
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thanks for the comments, we'll be moving forward with our original approach and deploy our .pbix files via the API.

Cheers

Lukas

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MoorsTech,

Could you please mark the proper answers as solutions?

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MoorsTech,

I think you have had the best solution. The App focuses on data organizing rather than deployment management. So if we'd like to do some work programmatically, we need to use the APIs (Application Programming Interface). There is also a PowerShell module. Please refer to powershell/power-bi/overview?view=powerbi-ps.

Best Regards,
Dale

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

The options you have available are somewhat dependent on your specific use case. However, it is probably advised to move away from solution templates as I'm not certain that those are really on the roadmap going forward. A lot is changing in that space with the new app workspaces and organization content packs, etc.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.