Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nandagajula
Regular Visitor

Deploy Power Bi Reports using CI/CD

Hi,

I am looking for CI/CD solution to deploy Power BI reports from my Git repo. Please share if you have any solutions to achive this? Appreciate if you can provide some help here.

Thanks,

Kishore

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @nandagajula , @markive ,

This is my understanding as of Nov 2021.

There are serious challenges with implementing CI/CD using Power BI with the way it is architected at the moment

In my case, I have a shared dataset (PBIT) and multiple PBIX reports around the shared dataset

1. PBIT files are binary. This prevents any Pull Request review (an essential step prior to CI/CD)
  2. You cannot upload a PBIT to Power BI service using the REST API . You will have to convert it to PBIX by opening the PBIT using Power BI desktop

Overall the CI/CD story is non-existent.

markive
Advocate II
Advocate II

One approach that might work is to create an Azure Logic App & Azure Function

Connect it to your Github repo and when there is a new commit have that trigger the Logic App to call the Azure Function. The Azure function should download the PBIX file form github and then use the PowerBI REST APIs to publish the dashboard automatically.

@markiveThanks for your response. Has anyone tried and successful earlier because what i am facing issue right now is access to Power Bi service

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors