Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Decoding binary version of excel from REST api call response

Hi I have folowing powershell script where I sent REST API calls: 

$groupId = ''
$reportId = ''
$exportFormat = 'XLSX'

$body = '{ format: "' + $exportFormat + '" }'

## Reports - Export To File In Group
$Export = Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod -Url "https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/$groupId/reports/$reportId/ExportTo" -Method Post -Body $body
$vExport = $Export | ConvertFrom-Json
$exportId = $vExport.id

## Pooling information
$Status = Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod -Url "https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/$groupId/reports/$reportId/exports/$exportId" -Method Get
$vStatus = $Status | ConvertFrom-Json
$vStatus

## Reports - Get File Of Export To File In Group
$File = Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod -Url "https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/$groupId/reports/$reportId/exports/$exportId/file" -Method Get

$BodyBytes = [System.Text.Encoding]::UTF8.GetBytes($File)

[System.IO.MemoryStream]$memoryStream = New-Object System.IO.MemoryStream(, $BodyBytes)
$memoryStream.Position = 0
[System.Net.Mime.ContentType]$contentType = New-Object System.Net.Mime.ContentType("application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet")

[System.Net.Mail.Attachment]$attachment = New-Object Mail.Attachment($memoryStream, $contentType)

And then I send email with attachment. Problem is, that attach file is damaged after email reciving. I guess I'm not working correctly with converting $File to Bytes[]. Do you know how to work with binary version of excel?

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I'd like to suggest you trace the exported file to confirm the file format and encode before you do transform operations.

In addition, this API also includes the limit of exported file format, I'd like to suggest you check the original report and exported file format at the first.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Of course I have checked the original file. It exports correctly. Even when I pipe file output via -OutFile excel works fine. Problem is I guess with the object $File. It may not be the correct object type. Rest API documentation says, that response is in format Media Type. So for xlsx files it could be:

application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet

but powershell returns type error when I try to save it to that object.

I'm doing this to create subscriptions on top of paginated reports so we could decommission our SQL Server Reporting Services. I don't want to add another step to save file, wanna do it all in memory.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.