Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sjkp
Advocate II
Advocate II

Debugging custom visual PowerBI desktop errors

So I have created a few custom visuals, and everytime it gets really anoying when you have to track down an error that only appears in powerbi desktop. 

Is there anyway to attach a javascript debugger to the powerbi desktop process? That would really make debugging a lot easier.

Right now the error I'm getting are: 

Error Message:

An error occurred while rendering the report.

Stack Trace:

Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.JavaScriptException: An error occurred while rendering the report.
   at :line 0

Invocation Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Nullable`1 errorCode, String requestId, Exception exception)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3.<SendAndMarshalExceptions>b__0(Object null)
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.WindowManager.ShowDialog[T](T form, IWin32Window owner)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassc.<Main>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

JS Error Message
Script error.

So my custom visual gives me a script error, or maybe it is the powerbi desktop client, how would I ever know if I cant debug, or get some better error messages. Worst thing is that the error in the above case is periodic, so I can't reliably reproduce it. 

I'm running powerbi desktop 2.35.4399.601 64-bit (maj 2016) - on windows 10 enterprise. And my custom visual worked fine before the introduction of the sandbox feature (e.g. in the march powerbi desktop version). 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4
mlahdeaho

Hi,

This help might come a little bit too late 🙂 , but if you are still having troubles with this issue or someone else is looking for answer, I have just written a blog how get Dev Tools visiblity in Power BI Desktop.

Please follow this link https://medium.com/@mikko.lahdeaho_45453/tackling-obstacles-in-power-bi-custom-visual-development-9f...

Best Regards,

Mikko

markive
Advocate II
Advocate II

I'm having this exact problem, did you find a way around this? Or a way to debug?

2017 no answer and no option to debug errors in power bi desktop.  The best we have seems to be the error message in the details you can copy from the error popup. 

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

There's no way to turn debugger mode one unfortunately but you might try to get more logs by enabling "Enable tracing" at Options of Power BI Desktop.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.