Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

johnyesberg

Debugger statement no longer causes breakpoint in custom visual

I've been developing some custom visuals. I have a "debugger;" statement at the top of my constructor and update methods, and I've been successfully using that to follow execution using F12 tools in IE11 and Chrome. But today, the browser doesn't pause when it reaches the debugger statement - it continues as if the F12 tools aren't open.

I not sure what could have changed this behaviour.

What can cause this? How can I get the old behaviour back?

Some things I've tried:

- I have freshly rebooted my computer.

- I've tried searching through the source in the F12 tools for "debugger" to see if I can find my code. But I can't find it.

- Power BI is definitely using my developer visual. If I stop the "pbiviz start" process, then Power BI shows the "Can't contact visual server" warning. When I rerun "pbiviz start", the visual comes back.

- In the F12 tools network tab, I can see that my visual.js code is being loaded.

- I tried adding a console.log('update') call at the top of the update method, just before the "debugger;" line, but I don't see this word appear on the F12 console, either in Chrome or IE11. This used to work, can't understand what's changed now.

- When I run in Chrome, the console doesn't show anything interesting.

- When I run in IE11, the console does show some errors. I think it always used to show some errors, but they didn't seem to cause any real problems in the past. It now shows

SCRIPT5: Access is denied.

File: visualSandboxMinimal, Line: 1, Column: 1

- When I refresh just my visual in IE11, in the console I see various notes about CORS and webanalytics, but also the following three errors. If I recall correctly, they were there even when the debugger was working correctly.

SCRIPT70: Permission denied
     File: powerbiportal.common.bundle.min.js, Line: 50, Column: 21893

SCRIPT70: Permission denied
     File: powerbiportal.common.bundle.min.js, Line: 50, Column: 21893

SEC7120: Origin about: not found in Access-Control-Allow-Origin header.
     File: about:blank

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@johnyesberg,

That works for me. Update the API version and check again.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Thanks Sam, yes that worked.

John

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@johnyesberg,

That works for me. Update the API version and check again.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Sam, yes that worked.

John

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.