Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

huguestremblay
Helper II
Helper II

Date/Time field - Display format

Hello,

I have a date/time field in my report.   Depending on the visual and the user, I sometimes need to show only the date and sometimes the date and time.  Is there a way of changing the format of a date/time field in a specific visual or if I have to have 2 separate fields available in the report (one with date and time and the other with just the date)?  

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @huguestremblay ,

As far as I know, we can use format function to create measure/calculated column to format your date/time column. I think we always add date/time column into visual as a key column to expand the visual like Axis field. Due to Power BI doesn't support us to add measures into Axis field, measure is not suitable for us. 

However format function will not convert the data in data model. So thought we format a date/time data to date only, it will still work like date/time format in data model.

So I suggest you to create a new calcualted column by DATEVALUE() function to convert date/time value to date only value. So you can choose the column to create your visuals by the date format you want.

RicoZhou_0-1655949039937.png

Result is as below.

RicoZhou_1-1655949065386.png

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Rico,

Thank you for your answer.  I am aware that I can create multiple fileds with different date/time formats in my dataset but what I am looking for is a method that dosen't require an additional field for each date format that a user might want (e.g. date/time or mm/dd/yyyy or dd-MMM-yyyy, or other).

Hugues.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors